This traditional Tunisian specialty is extremely comforting, especially during the winter months. It’s hearty, filling, satisfying, and super fun to make! The acidity and sweetness of this Tunisian style tomato sauce will pair perfectly with the spiced meaty stuffing of the peppers. Perfect with a bed of grains or bread. Give this family recipe a try!!
1. Cut off the ends of the Anaheim peppers and remove their core including the seeds.
2. In a pan, add 2 tbsp EVOO and diced onions. Sauté on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Add the ground beef, break apart and sauté for another 10 minutes. Add the spices and keep sautéeing until nicely browned. Add the chopped parsley, turn off the heat, and keep stirring for 2 min.
3. Transfer the cooked ground beef into a bowl, let it cool, then crack the two eggs. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Fill the cored Anaheim peppers with the ground beef mixture and press well to make sure the pepper is fully stuffed with no air pockets inside.
5. Dip each end of the pepper in a small plate with all purpose flour until it is well coated.
6. In a separate pan (or the same pan used for the ground beef making sure that it is well cleaned and dry), add the canola oil and pre-heat on medium-high heat. Add the stuffed peppers and fry each side well and evenly by flipping the peppers using tongs, about 30 minutes in total. Once the peppers are nicely browned on all sides, take them out of the oil and let them rest on a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
7. For the sauce, add 2 tbsp EVOO into a small pot along with the puréed tomato sauce and simmer for a few minutes, covered. You can also substitute with a ready-made tomato sauce :). Add the harissa paste, paprika, salt, and minced garlic then mix well until well sautéed. Add ½ to 1 cup of water (depending on how thick you want the sauce) and simmer for about 20 min with the lid covered.
8. On a plate, pour the sauce and spread it out into a circle. Place one pepper in the center of the plate on the sauce.
Thanks for contacting us! We'll get back to you shortly.
Thanks for subscribing
Thanks! We will notify you when it becomes available!
The max number of items have already been added
There is only one item left to add to the cart
There are only [num_items] items left to add to the cart